Like any other player in the league, Boston Celtics ahead Gordon Hayward was stunned by the sudden turn of events that led to the suspension of the 2019-20 NBA regular season due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Hayward and the rest of the Celts were in Milwaukee to meet Bax when the news came that the Rudy Robert Jazz Center in Utah was being tested for a highly contagious disease.
It was wild, I went from preparing for the Milwaukee Buck game in 45 minutes to thinking about how to get home, said Hayward of the Los Angeles Times.
The first text stated that one of the jazz musicians from Utah had tested positive for the corona virus and that their concert in Oklahoma City had been cancelled. And then our game had to be cancelled and was suspended for the whole season.
It was the 11th. In March, with no game for the next night and no season in the air, Hayward met two assistant coaches in a nearby bar where important matters were discussed.
The six-legged Swingman-7 shared a tormented stage when he and his crew realized in a week that they had to compete against the jazz and Brooklyn networks. In Utah there have been two confirmed cases with Robert and Donovan Mitchell in Brooklyn – four with Kevin Durant and three anonymous players.
Do we have it? Don’t we even know? When will we be tested? All these things go through our heads and we just try to understand them, like everyone else, Hayward said laughing.
The test results then showed that Celtics’ casting player, Markus Smart, was the only one to test positive for the team. However, Gayward was aware of the horror he felt while waiting for the results.
On one occasion All-Star has expressed concern about the possibility of transmission of the virus to his or her loved ones. Hayward has three daughters, while he’s expecting another child from Robin’s wife.
When my wife realized that this could be potentially disastrous and life-threatening for our child and for her, I wanted to make sure I was clear before I went home, Hayward said. We were checked a few days after we got back. I talked to the doctors and we decided that I could go home, but I have to keep my distance and not attach myself to anyone until we have the results and are 100% sure.